Multi-Dimensional Learning Space (MDLS) is a during-school and after-school program that provides multi-dimensional learning opportunities for school children to explore, experiment, discover, and learn in multiple ways. MDLS also provides students exposure to a wide variety of areas beyond the school curriculum.
Majority of the Indian population resides in the villages, where Government Schools form the backbone of the children’s development. Since most of them are first generation learners, families of such children are ill-equipped to provide necessary guidance for their education at home. In addition, rote-learning practices in traditional schooling system do not encourage experiential learning, nor foster creative thinking. Schools do not provide suitable environment for their emotional development.
The concept of Schools as multi-dimensional learning spaces is based on the foundation that
- Equal importance should be given to all aspects of the curriculum
- Learning is not restricted to a curriculum. It should extend to help holistic and balanced development of a child
- One learning style doesn’t work for all. Learning should involve visual, auditory and experiential methods
- Learning does not stop at school and it can happen anywhere and any time
The vision of Schools as Multi-Dimensional learning space is to offer a wide variety of academic inputs and non-academic exposure to children from an early age so that they do well not only in studies, but also learn about themselves, discover their interests and abilities so that they can take ownership of their lives with awareness and with confidence. Through this we hope to bring about individuals who are capable, confident, inquisitive and value aware, individuals who have the potential to become change agents in the society
Key aspects of MDLS
- A smart/experiential classroom
- Low cost Science/Maths lab and models for science
- Computer skill/exposure
- Improve reading levels though a unique library program
- Teacher training, regular follow up and supporting infrastructure to enable teachers
- Inter-school competitions to provide a platform for hands on projects and cross school learning
- Exposure and counselling towards local economies and careers outside the local economies
MDLS improves learning competencies, and equips students with academic and life-skills.